I provide connection parenting support and education services to parents, families, organisations and members of the community, including consultations, counselling, talks, groups, workshops and courses.
My aim is to empower families to build strong parent-child connections.
The latest scientific research on child development, attachment theory and interpersonal neurobiology infuses my work.
My approach aligns with the work of Patty Wipfler, founder of Hand in Hand Parenting and Aletha Solter, founder of the Aware Parenting Institute. As well as being a registered Psychologist, I am a certified consultant with both of these organisations.
The following principles underpin the connection parenting approach:
- Emotions are “important signposts to a child’s interior world” (Wipfler)
- To think and function at their best, children need to feel connected to a parent or caregiver (Wipfler)
- Stress and trauma (including unmet needs) are primary causes of behavioural and emotional problems (Solter)
- Children can heal from stress and trauma when given the opportunity to be heard with an empathetic listener. Allowing this natural expression of feelings is the key to helping children work through their challenges (Solter & Wipfler)
- Discipline and managing behavioural challenges takes into account the child’s emotional system and is therefore non-punitive (Solter & Wipfler)
- Connection play, laughter and crying in the context of a loving parent/child relationship has healing effects (Solter & Wipfler)
If you would like to learn more about connection parenting, or to book me for a public talk, workshop or course Contact Georgie, or submit an enquiry online
Dr Georgie Bancroft